The proliferation of cloud applications and centralised systems means that the cost of connectivity downtime grows every day. For distributed enterprises with hundreds or thousands of site and branch locations, a highly resilient network is essential to proactively avoiding unplanned network disruptions.
Protecting uptime is a primary focus for IT teams.If and when a piece of equipment or the network goes down the IT team is responsible not only for the lost productivity and revenue associated with connectivity issues but, more importantly, for solving the problem and restoring the network.
Yet in many distributed enterprises which have centralised IT resources, the team often doesn’t have the network visibility they need to identify issues with remote routers and equipment.
Network administrators have long faced the challenge of managing distributed enterprise networks effectively and cost efficiently – yet many still struggle to do so.Legacy options, such as telephone support to local staff and truck rolls, are financially costly and time-expensive. Expecting on-site staff to be the eyes and ears for central teams, and run diagnostics that they may not be familiar with, can cause delays in troubleshooting and prolongs the time to full network restoration. In some cases as well there may not be local staff available – for example, remote locations such as monitoring stations. Sending technicians to site to repair or replace the equipment results in large financial costs and delays restoration as well.
Out-Of-Band Management; the difference between network success or failure.A secure, reliable means for accessing the network out-of-band is therefore crucial to successfully managing a distributed network remotely. An Out-Of-Band Management (OOBM) solution provides the visibility that a central team needs to be able to troubleshoot remote equipment issues, even when the primary connection fails, and get the network back online.
Traditional OOBM solutions which use services such as ISDN (integrated services digital network) or POTS (plain old telephone service) to access remote devices is fast becoming defunct though, as these technologies become legacy products. They often rely on the same infrastructure as the primary fixed line connection as well, so if this goes down they most likely will too – and even if they don’t, their connection speed is too slow to provide a viable failover solution that can support today’s businesses that rely on cloud-based systems. Wired connectivity is also unsuitable for more remote locations which require a more advanced OOBM solution.
LTE for failover and Out-Of-Band Management provides the answer.A cellular networking solution can provide secure, reliable failover connectivity when the primary connection fails, delivering an uninterrupted service. In addition to this, the solution can enable central IT resources to remotely troubleshoot the service-affecting routing device using Out-Of-Band Management – regardless of how remote its location may be.
The solution addresses both the issue of extended downtime and the inefficiencies associated with historical approaches to distributed network management. Providing the speed needed to continue seamless working, 3G/4G networking keeps locations connected and secure while teams work remotely to restore the primary network.
How it worksWestbase Technology provide a wide range of 3G/4G routers which enable simplified convergence of wired and wireless networks at the edge to deliver a seamless failover solution.
Remotely managed using cloud applications, our solutions are perfect for distributed enterprises with central IT resources – enabling the team to configure, manage and troubleshoot the whole estate remotely.
These devices can connect directly to the console port of the primary router, extending the remote management capabilities to it and therefore enabling simple, but powerful, OOBM.
Cost effective, rapid deployment OOBM.Traditional OOBM solutions require a dedicated OOBM modem and POTS or ISDN line, meaning high costs are attached to establishing the required infrastructure – especially for a distributed enterprise with hundreds, or even thousands, of locations. This infrastructure also demands long and extended roll out periods.
A cellular solution however can be rolled out in a fraction of the time it takes to build a fixed line infrastructure, and by combining connectivity and an OOBM tool into one device, it saves thousands in costs and simplifies the network.
Overcoming the other limitations of traditional OOBM as well, it can be deployed in any location and diversifies the infrastructure to include both wired and wireless connections, improving overall network resilience.
A Westbase 3G/4G networking solution implemented with a cloud management platform removes the need for static IP addresses for OOBM – meaning you can remotely access the primary router from any location and with no configuration necessary, delivering plug and play failover and OOBM.
Using 3G/4G to maximise business continuity
Minimises disruption and downtime by delivering a reliable business continuity solution
Prevents loss of revenue and brand damage, amongst other critical impacts of downtime
Can be deployed rapidly for an almost instant solution
The added benefits of a cellular failover and OOBM solution
Saves time by enabling immediate troubleshooting by a trained, IT professional regardless of location
Reduces the need for truck rolls and on-site technical staff
Reduces replacement equipment costs by enabling remote repairs
Removes expense of a dedicated OOBM modem and POTS line
No static IP required – access anywhere with no configuration required
- With its compact size and sleek metal case the Cradlepoint COR IBR600 provides 4G mobile broadband primary con... Read More
- Simplify and scale M2M operations with the Sierra Wireless AirLink Management Service (previously known as Air... Read More
- INSTANT INSIGHTS & INTELLIGENT MANAGEMENT Proactive alerts and reporting enable you to better manage devices... Read More
- With state-of-the-art global LTE coverage from the proven leader in LTE technology, the ES450 provides broadba... Read More
- The Cradlepoint AER3100 is the industry’s most robust cellular WAN management application system, and is the... Read More
- The Cradlepoint AER 2100 is the ﬁrst in a new generation of cloud-managed 4G networking solutions that helps... Read More
- The professional VPN router LANCOM 1781VA-4G provides high-speed Internet access either via LTE (up to 100 Mbp... Read More
- Outstanding features are the support of the 800, 1800, and 2600 MHz frequency bands and all current 2G, 3G, an... Read More
- The professional VPN router LANCOM 1781A-4G features two built-in modems for a secure and highly available Int... Read More
- The Cradlepoint AER1600 is designed for the distributed enterprise to intelligently manage converged wired and... Read More
- The Cradlepoint ARC CBA850 is a turnkey networking solution for best-in-class 3G/4G/LTE failover, that integra... Read More
- The professional VPN router LANCOM 1781A-3G features two built-in modems for assured secure Internet access fo... Read More